What type of hair loss treatment do you prescribe? Our physicians may prescribe finasteride (generic Propecia) to treat male pattern hair loss (androgenic alopecia). This medication helps patients maintain the hair they have or possibly even regrow some hair they have lost. You can also get minoxidil (generic Rogaine), an over-the-counter topical treatment, to slow or even stops hair loss at the crown of the head. Your doctor may recommend the use of finasteride combined with minoxidil. Finasteride is not appropriate for all men and should never be used by women or handled by pregnant women. To learn more about who should not use finasteride and the potential side effects.